Saturday, January 18, 2020

The Sandwich Generation

    People in my age bracket sometimes find themselves sandwiched between two generations. We are old enough to have grandchildren and yet young enough to have our parents around. And on occasion, we are called upon to care for both at the same time.
    Such was my situation last week, when a long-anticipated visit from our toddler grandson happened at the same time that my mother was hospitalized with a pretty serious health condition. I arranged for a friend to mind the boy for a couple of hours so I could catch up on work and visit my 87-year-old mom without the playful laughter and persistent demands of a two-and-a-half-year-old.
    On one particularly challenging day, I spent lunch coaxing my mother to eat the hospital food that she said was unappealing. Then I spent dinner coaxing the little guy to eat all his cheesy pasta. Both meals looked pretty good to me, who was hungry and tired enough to polish off either, particularly if it was presented to me on a tray.
    For either family member, I was the go-to gopher. I toted toys, fetched essentials, and did a fair amount of bargaining and cajoling. Though it was exhausting and people at work commented, towards the end of the week, 'wow, you look tired!', I was strengthened by the knowledge that I did what needed to be done.
   Amid the chaos were moments when everything went right: nap time coincided with a conference call, and the health care provider I had hounded arranged an appointment. Small victories are what's needed to push an army of one over the next hill.
    Though a bit sleep-deprived, fortified by grab-and-go meals that were less than healthy, and without my regular exercise routine, I not only survived but emerged with a sense of accomplishment. If I were a girl scout, I'm sure this would qualify me for a badge. And on the badge would be the image of a sandwich wearing a cape!

1 comment:

  1. I know your sqeeze. You're doing great... hang in there.
    Badge well earned 😘

    ReplyDelete