Saturday, May 30, 2015

Colombo - nearing the end of our trip

    Yesterday we headed towards Colombo - typical city: traffic, crowds, and diesel fumes. Our vacation was drawing to a close in the most appropriate way... Showing us people on their way to work, school or errands. Soon it would be us who would be climbing into work clothes and proper shoes and placing our noses to the grindstone. But for today, we are still on island time, just hanging out and spending time together.
    Between shopping for essentials like Sri Lankan cooking implements, black tea and such, and going to visit my mother's 97-year old aunt, we spent time at the pool here at Mt Lavinia Hotel.
     This grand old colonial hotel hugs the coast just south of Colombo, has a broad white terrace and strategically placed palm trees just right for photo ops. The sea was too rough for swimming today but we hope to have some nice walks along the sand tomorrow.
    On one hand, the past two weeks seem to have lingered as we took in so many sights and experiences, yet on the other, I feel as if we've flown through the air to get to where we are now.
    Our home seems far away now and I'm finding myself thinking of my old routine: walking in the early morning, riding my bike to work, feeling useful in my office, cooking dinner with Duane, seeing our sweet cats and spending time in our garden.
    Be it ever so humble, as they say, there truly is no place quite like home. My own pillow, my comfort zone, my refuge. But for now, we have one more day to spend here before we depart for the familiar.

No comments:

Post a Comment