Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Each and every moment

    The photo albums from our last trip to Sri Lanka have come off the shelf, as I reminisce on how young Josh looked at 17, with a long black pony tail, and how small Rachel was at 10, athletic and sassy.
    As usual the days leading up to any anticipated event are harried and hectic, as you struggle to finish last minute tasks. I've wished away the intervening hours, even entire days, as I set my sights on the best parts to come.
    It seems we are often looking so far ahead that we bypass those minutes, hours and days as obstacles to be gotten through in order to get to the good stuff. I fear that, as with all good and delicious things, my time with family will fly by while I am engrossed in the goal just up ahead. 
    My objective for the next two weeks will be to relish each and every present moment. To live it fully by feeling all the feels and viewing all the views. Even in those times when I would customarily be awaiting the next sight or destination, I will attempt to breathe the air of that instant and absorb the surroundings such that I notice small things that a busy life would normally gloss over.
    Then at the end when I stitch together all those individual snapshots in time, I hope that the meaning and the purpose will emerge.

Negombo, Sri Lanka

No comments:

Post a Comment